15.10.09

Caffe Capri

Today is more of a personal post. And like most personal posts, it will be interesting and fun for me more so than for you. :) Perhaps you'll enjoy it a bit.

I woke to a cold, wet morning. Last night was the first night I needed a second blanket. Today is the first day they turned the boiler on in my apartment. It is that fall day we all know very well--disgusting, dank, and somehow uncomfortably cozy.


The cozy part of the day came when I decided to walk in and check out Caffe Capri. It's an old coffee place around the corner. When I first noticed it yesterday I imagined it would have a kind old lady at the counter, the decor would be wonderfully gaudy and dated, and the coffee would be just so-so. I've never assumed more correctly. Yesterday I judged a book by it's cover and wasn't let down. This woman served me.

She was quiet, but friendly. I fell for her the way a child falls for the cozy part of his mother's shoulder during a Sunday sermon's nap. As for the decor, there were lots of the usual Italian tidbits to the like of a newspaper clipping of ol' blue eyes himself, Frank Sinatra. The whole experience reminded me of a place you would find in a small European town. Again, I loved it.

All of this was very much encouraged by my reading of A Farewell To Arms. I read these days. It is solely attributed to riding the subway. Without giving you the whole rundown, I'll just say that the book makes me want to re-live history, drink....A LOT....and just sit back with a close friend and shoot the shit.

No comments: